Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Fancy Eggs in a Basket

My boyfriend, Nick, and I love breakfast. Although during the week, it can often be rushed whenever we can we make some sort of morning delicacy.

A few years back, one of my best friends, Scotti, introduced me to the "eggs-in-a-basket" phenomenon. Now, being a Greek child my eggs consisted of spinach and feta omelettes and I HATE feta... so to me, eggs in a basket sounded like something chocolatey that children got from a bunny on normal Easter. And since my Easters involved real eggs... and lamb on a spit.... I was lost.

But NO. Eggs-in-basket = egg + bread (two of my favorite foods in the world). EGG IN BREAD. Cooked together simply and deliciously. So now, I make this whenever I can...

However, Nick and I don't always have sliced bread around... so one morning (or afternoon. I'm a college student, don't judge) when it was my turn to be fancy... I decided to try something a little different.

We had leftover dinner rolls.... so I cut large holes in the tops of each like so:


Then I squirted in a bit of EVOO, cracked an egg in each, and topped them with provençal herbs and fresh asiago cheese.

I popped these bad boys into an oven pre-heated to 375 degrees and cooked them about 20-25 minutes (until the eggs were no longer runny). I meant to take a picture when I took them out of the oven but Nick and I were so hungry and they smelled so delicious that I forgot until it was almost too late!

These were so good and so simple to make! And they can be topped with all sorts of deliciousness... brie, tomato, fresh basil... honestly the list is endless.