Saturday, July 30, 2011

my kourelou

I'm moving into my new apartment in August and unlike the former, it's unfurnished! So much of my summer has been spent looking for furniture and tidbits to make it into a little home. I have found so many beautiful things, but this post isn't about that... You see, I've also been feeling extra creative this summer and I've taken to crafting a lot of things for the apartment. One of my biggest projects is what my mother and grandmother call a "kourelou." Oh, did I mention that I'm ridiculously Greek?

From what I understand, a "kourelou" is anything made from a rag (or a "kourele"). In this case, I am making a large red rug for my living room. 

I took a size Q crocheting hook and a bunch of red sheets and went at it! I rip the sheets in one continuous strip and connect with them a slipknot. 

As for a "pattern," I just did as follows: I crocheted a magic adjustable ring (with 10 dc), then for the next couple rounds increased by one dc in each. After a while, I went back to just one dc. 

I'm just crocheting in one continuous round so it's mostly done by feel... I increase crochets when the edges seem to curl inward and I decrease when the edges begin to ruffle. 

The Progression of the Kourelou: